Monday, December 23, 2013

South Cross Island HIghway Part III Dec 2013

Next morning we stuffed our tent in the bag and departed once again.  Daisy had to work later that afternoon but we had a bit of time to explore so I took us up a couple of random roads in the village.  What a treat this turned out to be.  As we drifted through these backcountry orchard roads, I couldn’t help but stop every few meters to snap some photos and take in the some of the most incredible colors I’d ever seen.  Some of these folks lived a very simple life in an amazing location.  Cruising along these mountain roads peering over the river and village in the valley below, I realized how easy it is to forget places like this exist in Taiwan when living in a place like smogville Kaohsiung. 

On our way back up the mountain, we spotted a waterfall off in the distance.  I couldn’t resist.  I pulled over and told Daisy if we hurried, we could trace the riverbed up to it and still make it back for her work in time.  So she reluctantly agreed and I took off.  I estimated it to take us about 30 minutes, but I was essentially running up the riverbed and cut that in half.  Parkour-style river tracing over big boulders- one of my favorite pastimes. 

Finally arrived at the falls huffing and puffing but it was worth it for me.  Though the water flow had slowed significantly due to the changing seasons, there was still a pool at the bottom of the cascade filled with thousands of tadpoles and algae though it was.  Once again, the colors and contrast of old and new algae was positively stunning.  A bit later Daisy made it up to the crag and had had her fill.  After a brief pause, she stepped off back down the riverbed while I continued up the mountain around the waterfall over some serious rock scree.  I essentially ran up the mountain sliding the whole way.  Nature was definitely working against me in this case.  It was like trying to run uphill through a pile of marbles.  Almost nothing was solid but I set a goal for myself and after another 15 minutes or so, I made it halfway up the mountainside.  Unfortunately the view was muggled by several patches of trees but it was worth the effort.  I’d only made it about halfway and the trail only got ever-steeper and ever-more dangerous from there.  Fearing a serious landslide that would almost certainly bring injury or death, I calculated the risk to be too high and not worth it so I did an about-face and began slidin down the mountainside Bear Grylls style, continually cycling my feet in front so as not to lose balance.  Every now and then the boulders I was sliding on would give out and tumble back down the trail so I’d have to lie back and wait for the maelstrom to calm before it took me with it.  Imagine trying to skate down a sand dune and you've just about got it.


After making it back to Daisy in one piece, we high-tailed it back to Kaohsiung.  Not without one final pleasure though.  Daisy’s friend owned a farm along the way and she’d done a bit of work with him so she gave me a little tour of the squash and bean plots.  Once again in an amazing location.  With storm clouds rolling in and our time running short though, we didn’t stay for long.  We gassed up and started the four-hour journey back to KS.  The slow transition from open roads and clean air back to traffic jams and smoggy skies made me reluctant to complete the journey but hey, that’s life.  Until the next trip, I hope you are enjoying the Myriad wanderings.


No comments:

Post a Comment