Sunday, December 1, 2013

Live another day. Surfing San Juan, La Union, Luzon, Philippines. November 2013

So this time, I find myself surfing during a 2 week trip to the Philippines for climbing, surfing, diving, and kayaking.  I was traveling with my gal Daisy and we had quite an incredible trip.  A few days into the trip, we hopped on a bus and headed to San Juan, La Union in Luzon so we could brush up on our surfing skills and see what the Philippines had to offer.

Daisy and I on the back of a Jeepney in La Union
So after surfing a couple of days in San Juan, La Union in the Philippines, I had improved my surfing ability tenfold.  I'd surfed all morning and a few hours into it, I decided I was ready for a challenge and after a severe battle thrashing through the inside breaks, I paddled outside to the overheads. These were clearly above my ability but I still wanted to give it a whack.

While I was out there, a local asked me in plain, perfect English, “if you wipe out and your leash breaks, are you going to be able to swim in?” “yeah, I think so. I’ve been swimming my whole life so I think I’ll be alright,” I meekly responded. “Because if your leash breaks you’re going to have to go in.  A lot of people wouldn’t be able to make the swim and if you can’t, you shouldn’t really be out here.” He reissued the warning.  I reassured him thanking him for his advice. He apologized for bothering me and swam off to catch the next behemoth.

The first day's waves
These waves were ripping- hard.  But I had fought tooth and nail to get outside the break and make it here.  I heeded the guy’s warning carefully and realized he was probably right.  I’d never given thought to a wave being strong enough to break my leash.  That was quite a daunting thought.  But nevertheless I paddled with all my might for the next break when I was ready.  It rose and rose and rose and I paddled ever the harder and faster despite my exhaustion. I prepped to stand up and waited for the wave to carry me.  But something wasn’t right.  I wasn’t being pushed forward.  Then I heard the thunderous crashing of the barrels breaking behind me and realized I was in the wrong spot.  Too late to do anything about it now.  The wave had already broken and I was soon to be at its mercy.  I gripped my board with what I thought was the appropriate force and made a meager attempt to standup.  But it was a wasted effort.  WHAM! I was slammed with the full, unadultered, yet beautiful force of mother nature as the wave slammed into my board and body tossing me into a washing machine on spin cycle.  Surfboard-totally out of my hands.  Leash-not broken so far.  Head- underwater. Feet-not touching bottom.  Feet-now in the air.  Hands- trashing wildly trying to stay above water.  Brain-AHHHH! DON’T PANIC! DON’T PANIC! DON’T PANIC! Head-above water a split second. TAKE A BREATH! Breath taken- too late., Mouth full of water as I plunge back into the turbulence.  This went on for about 7 seconds which is a lifetime in near-drowning adrenaline induced seconds.  I fortunately made it out of the first break and jumped on my board as fast as I could when WHAM! I got slammed again, surfboard zipped right out of my hand. Wash, rinse, repeat.  There was no swimming out of this maelstrom. 

Third time around I was determined to make it out this madness.  Mounted the board again and committed a death grip to the rails.  I was barely able to hang on as I got slammed a 3rd time, then a 4th,then a 5th.  This went on over and over until the waves took me in close enough that I could walk (on the reef filled with sea urchins which I fortunately dodged) back to the shore.  That was it, no more going back out.  Were it not for sleep deprivation and sheer exhaustion from fighting for my life, I might’ve stuck to the small waves for a while, but I conceded to return the board and call it a day on the surfing.  Too rough for now.  Live another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment